Flagships Release: The 2017 African Economic Outlook (AEO)
DATE: Monday 22 May 2017
TIME: 10:00 – 11:30
SHORT STATEMENTS ABOUT THE 2017 AEO
- Mr. Abebe Shimeles, Ag. Director, Macroeconomics Policy, Forecasting and Research, AfDB
- Mr. Mario Pezzini, Director, OECD Development Centre, Paris
- Mr. Abdoulaye Mar Dieye, Assistant Administrator and Director of the Regional Bureau for Africa at the United Nations Development Programme
- Dr. Abdalla Hamdok, Acting Executive Secretary, UNECA
SHORT MINISTERIAL COMMENTS
- Hon. Philip Mpango, AfDB Governor for Tanzania
- Hon. Hadji Babaammi, AfDB Governor for Algeria
This event is meant to showcase the strong partnership between the Bank and the OECD Development Centre and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in producing an influential flagship publication that become a leading reference Report on Africa’s development and medium-term growth prospects covering all the 54 African countries.
The 2017 AEO is the 16th edition under the theme: “Entrepreneurship and Industrialization in Africa”. Industrialisation is one of the Bank’s High 5 priorities. Therefore, the Report cannot be more timely and relevant. The Report highlights the resilience of African economies amidst regional and global heads; opportunities and challenges of entrepreneurship in Africa and the important of strong and committed leadership; role of the private sector in driving industrialisation in Africa.
The release of the AEO 2017 report will provide an opportunity to Bank Governors to share their views on African economic performance and propose policy solutions to addressing constraints facing entrepreneurs, especially SMEs, in Africa.
- 23/05/2017 - Intra-African trade is key to sustainable development – African Economic Outlook
- 23/05/2017 - Africa’s future lies in entrepreneurship and industrialization: 2017 African Economic Outlook
- 22/05/2017 - Unlock the potential of African entrepreneurs to accelerate Africa’s industrial transformation, says the African Economic Outlook 2017